Who to invite? What do we want to do?
Do we want to invite speakers? Do we want to epresent certain value-producing systems? Please include any suggestions below:
As some of us have written more suggestions that others, is it the fairest thing to 'divvy up' the contacting? (Say, 5 each)
- Noortje Marres to talk about 'issue mapping'? - Amy
- Natasha Degen to talk about the art market? - Amy
- Auction (invite someone from an auction house? Hold an auction? Auction off places for talks for payment, plus a CP skills IOU?) - Trish?
- Can we run a casino (does anyone know a croupier?) - Sissu
- Can we issue a 'currency' to be used at the market - Neil - currency with lots of zeros
- Auction - maybe Trish
- The Housing Market (invite AffordableWick?) Do we invite an estate agent to participate? - Marsha
- Is there a way of representing all of the research carried out so far on value (for example, the walks? Invite Environmental Lawyer Rosie Oliver and Economic geographer Angus Cameron?)
- Christian Nold whose work has included installing a local currency, the Bijlmer Euro in Amsterdam (neil to contact)
- Micro-finance bank a micro-finance bank could secure, and extend loans for the duration of the market
- Red Cross Blood Donation As stall where a blood bank is in operation (Neil to research/contact)
- David Graeber, anarchist anthropologist of Debt
- David Harvey the most famous Marxist geographer
- Sophie Hope - artist and researcher from Birkbeck, notions of cultural democracy but also values of art
- Eleanora Belfiore - researcher into values of art - YES!
- Alicja Rogalska - an artist from Poland, living in London - establihsed a point to buy tears
- sourcing Hackney Wick and Wick Sessions - for various initiatives and individuals working in the field
- Stefano Harney - critical expertise in management studies, notions of undercommons - MAYBE!
- Celine Condorelli - architect and researcher, worked on commons - maybe with Gavin Wade
- Angus Cameron - we know him - Neil
- Ronny Heiremans and Katleen Vermeir - if we wanted to make any screenings
- Freee! - I think they could contribute interestingly
- Kate Rich and Feral Trade - Hmmm...?
- various traders - maverics - would need to go to various markets and find them
- boot sales - and other forms of dumping and exchanging unused objects - could be made as a game (with some rules) - Eva
- guerilla gardens - and their produces (Wick sessions?) - Eva
- Mara Ferreri and QMUL research team on land values at Hackney Wick - covered
- anti-gentrification activists from the area of HW - if they would agree to come - Marsha
- food recycling kitchen - plenty of those these days - Claire
- Folke Koebberling - might be around
- The education market (representative from UAL?) and Occupy school - Marsha
(Amy could invite The Islington Mill Art Academy, should we also invite Janna Graham?)
- Renee Ridgeway - Marsha
- ArtLeaks Gazette - Marsha
- Beverley Skeggs Values Beyond Value?
- VAVU Goldsmiths Group researching values
- Buddhist therapist The creation of value through emotional exchange (Amy)
- NEF New Economics Forum - Bitcoin?
- The Pizza Laundry Ethical Pizza van (values)
- someone from LCF Buying and Merchandise - system for how to value products
- Michael Golberg Artist employing Trading and the stock exchange
- use an online trading platform demo
- Jonathan Levin Expert in virtual currencies
- The Artists' Union on pay negotiation and valuing the work of cultural workers
- Social Attribution Symbols Symbols of values and ethics in business and online. (Metod to follow up on this)
- Dafne Louzioti on value of movement (Goldsmiths) (Metod to follow up on this)
- Matteo Menapace on deconstructing and hacking board games. (Metod to follow up on this)
- Aimee Mathew John on sustainable clothing design. (Metod to follow up on this)
- Strike! Magazine  Strike write concerning the capitalist neo-liberal paradigm and the economy of 'bullshit jobs' (Catherine to follow up)
- Defend the Right to Protest  Defend the right to protest have been highlighting the increased privatisation of student space and how that is used to to prevent protest (Catherine to follow up)
- Occupy school. Occupy ran a free school tent at the St Paul's square occupation. A number of academics gave talks there. Might be able to contact someone who helped run it and see if there would be any capacity to set up an occupy school for the market. This could be linked to the marketisation of education (Catherine to follow up)
- Law (David Cross?)
- Violence against Women
- Hans Abbing
- Karem's friend who is working on smaller people
- Cinema Values the screening of relevant films and documentaries on value and different modes of economy
Herb & Dorothy 50x50 (2013), directed by Megumi Sasaki. 87 min. One Couple, One Apartment, One World Class Art Collection. A follow up to the documentary Herb & Dorothy, that captures an ordinary couple's extraordinary gift of art to the nation as they close the door on their life as collectors. www.imdb.com/title/tt2539720/; www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9iPGcY8DM; www.contactmusic.com/article/herb-and-dorothy-50x50-one-couple-one-apartment-one-world-class-art-collection-trailer-stills_3806076
The Lunchbox (2013) directed by Ritesh Batra. 104 min. A mistaken delivery in Mumbai's famously efficient lunchbox delivery system connects a young housewife to an older man in the dusk of his life as they build a fantasy world together through notes in the lunchbox.
Hans Richter, Inflation, 1928. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq-ihSv25m8
Abbas Kiarostami, Taste of Cherries, 1997. About value of life/death. www.imdb.com/title/tt0120265/; full movie with English subtitles: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_YDxwUuJTo
Agnès Varda, Cleo from 5 to 7, 1962. Famous 10min card reading scene at the begin, evaluation of ‘diagnosis’. Fortune telling. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/apr/29/cleo-from-5-to-7-review
Sherlock Holmes, Dressed to Kill, 1946. Basically about auction houses!! www.imdb.com/title/tt0038494/; full movie: www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-N-PAsJ9pU
- Archtecture of the Market will Andreas Lang and Public Works work with us on finding a fitting architectural form for the Market. This aspect, as the former experience shows (i.e. Parade), should not be underestimated, as it makes the real difference.
- EventBug A twitter-based documentation game that amplifies events with digital archives. Rules of the game and sample of an archive. How it works: you tweet what you heard, seen, talked about and produced using a #hashtag, EventBug engine captures the tweet, saves it and displays it in visual form as an archive. EventBug requires a page and some server space for the final archive. The format was produced by Matteo Menapace and Metod in collaboration. Metod to explain about this format in detail.
The Market of Values will explore the distribution of value as public knowledge, embody peer-2-peer exchange, and build communal resources. Our market as an artwork would explore the effects of art in the most vital space in culture: in the production and circulation of value.
Our market will aim at causing localised disturbances and temporary disruptions in the dominant processes of valorisation.
- Country Fair
- Heath Bunting
- We like the idea of time slots and space slots
Return to Market of Values
'Reading' list: Things to watch, read and do
An Amassed CP History of the Market